These paleo bagels are gluten-free and the best way to start your day without the carb crash, topped with smoked salmon, avocado or even a dairy free cashew cheese spread.
Show of hands, who just got done doing the Whole 30 for the month of January? How’d it go?
I’ll be honest, I didn’t follow it to the letter, I may have had a few Birchbenders paleo waffles along the way. For the most part I really stayed true to avoiding sweets. That’s really what it was all about for me, when I get stressed that’s the first thing I turned to.
But now that we are moving on to February and new-found food freedom, I’m kicking it off with these paleo bagels. Let’s be honest bagels are just the all around perfect breakfast food. You can really customize it any way you like, or just at them as is. There really is no right or wrong way to eat a bagel.
These paleo bagels include a mixture of coconut with flax meal, so they are high in fiber and healthy fats. Fats and fiber help to keep you full all morning until lunch. Now for the traditionalist bagel lover, they don’t have the same consistency as a traditional bagel – they have more of a muffin like consistency. But they are darn tasty, and you can always toss them in the toaster, so it’s all good.
I used Trader Joe’s Everything but the Bagel seasoning for the seasoning. You could always make your own, but I just find it easier since it’s already tossed together. These bagels come together in less than 30 minutes, and really are the best way to start the day. They also store in the fridge for a few days.
- 1/2 cup Ottos Cassava Flour
- 3 tbsp. ground flax seed
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tbsp. Bobs Red Mill Arrowroot Powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 2 eggs
- 2 tbsp. apple cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp. coconut oil
- 1/4 cup coconut nectar
- 1 tbsp. hemp milk (or dairy free milk of choice)
- Pinch of sea salt
- Trader Joe's Everything but the Bagel Seasoning for top
- Pre heat the oven to 350. Grease a donut pan with avocado oil spray, and set aside.
- In a small saucepan, place the coconut oil on medium heat until melted. Place in the fridge to cool.
- In a small bowl, combine the cassava flour, flax meal, garlic powder and sea salt. Mix well.
- In a separate bowl, place the eggs and whisk. Add in the coconut oil, coconut nectar and milk, and whisk thoroughly. In a small bowl, combine the apple cider vinegar and the baking soda (the fizz is pretty cool) and pour the mixture in with the egg mixture and combine.
- Slowly add the dry ingredient mixture in with the wet ingredients until it reaches a dough like consistency.
- To make it easier to place the mixture into the donut molds, you can cut out a corner of a large plastic bag and place the mixture in there to get a perfect pour without the mess.
- Use your hands to place the mixture in the donut pan and press in place. Top with Everything but the Bagel Seasoning and place in the over for 20 minutes, or until you can cleanly remove a toothpick or fork.
- Store in the refrigerator for a few days.