This paleo cauliflower oatmeal brings back all the feels of a cozy breakfast favorite, just with more veggies and less of those oats.
Happy New Year! There’s no better way to ring in the first morning of the new year with a hearty bowl of oats. If you’re located in one of those sub-zero, frozen tundra type places right now, I bet you’ll take anything warm at this point.
What is Whole 30 and AIP?
The new year is also a prime time for changing your relationship with food. If you plan on taking on the Whole 30 or AIP diets in the new year, this paleo cauliflower oatmeal is perfect to include in your meal plan. What is Whole 30 and AIP? You can read more about them by clicking the links, but long story short both diets eliminate potentially inflaming foods. These diets are meant to be short-term, to help give your digestion a reset, along with other benefits.
Oats have always been the golden child of standard diets as they are quick, and loaded with soluble fiber and complex carbs. The reason they aren’t “paleo” is because they are believed to contain anti nutrients that contribute to leaky gut. Oats by nature are gluten-free, but when they are processed in a factory that process other gluten-containing items, that goes out the window. My stomach isn’t a big fan of oats.
Paleo Cauliflower Oatmeal
This paleo cauliflower oatmeal is the perfect way to incorporate more veggies in your diet, especially at breakfast. The great thing about cauliflower is that you won’t even notice it’s in there. Can’t stand that sulfur smell of cauliflower? Don’t cook the cauliflower rice longer than 5 minutes. Not only does it lower nutrients, but the longer it cooks, the worse the smell. Cauliflower rice is also the best in place of normal rice, like with my teriyaki chicken rice bowls.
If you are not following the Whole 30 diet, you can add maple syrup or honey as a sweetener if you wish. I think this paleo cauliflower oatmeal is hearty enough as is, but be as creative as you wish! That’s the good thing about oats and pizza, you can add whatever you want and it’s totally acceptable.
This hearty paleo cauliflower oatmeal can also be made ahead for breakfasts during the week. You can portion out servings in a mason jar, and reheat all week-long. Or enjoy cold if you’re into cold oats. I can’t get behind that sort of thing 🙂
- 1 cup cauliflower rice
- 2 tbsp. coconut flour
- 1 tbsp. coconut butter
- 1 banana
- 1 scoop Vital Proteins Collagen Peptides I also use Further Food Collagen Peptides (use code WITHMELISSA for 5% off your purchase!)
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract (or vanilla bean powder if Whole 30)
- 3 tbsp. flax seed
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp nut milk of choice
- If you do not already have the cauliflower rice pre-shredded (you can buy it pre shredded at Trader Joes or other grocery stores), place the cauliflower head in a food processor and shred until it reaches the consistency of rice.
- In a large saucepan, place a strainer with enough water that it barely reaches the bottom of the strainer (you can also place the cauliflower rice in a saucepan with a small amount of water, but I find the strainer easier to remove the extra water). Let the cauliflower steam on medium for about 5 to 10 minutes (it will start to smell after 5 so keep an eye on it).
- While the cauliflower rice is steaming, place 1/2 of the banana in a small bowl and smash with the back of a fork.
- Once the cauliflower rice is done, place the rice in the bowl with the smashed banana, along with the coconut flour, flax seed, collagen peptides, melted coconut butter, vanilla extract, cinnamon and sea salt and stir till fully combined.
- Place you favorite fruit, paleo-friendly granola or other favorite toppings on top and enjoy.