This paleo creamy cauliflower gnocchi soup is the perfect gluten-free take on an Olive Garden favorite, featuring Trader Joe’s cauliflower gnocchi, and a dairy-free base that everyone can enjoy!
I’ll be honest, I don’t do well in cold conditions. I’m from California, cold to us is 60 degrees.
But it has been seriously cold lately. Early morning temps have been in the 30s, with highs in the 50s. My California blood wasn’t built for this type of weather.
Reminds me of the time I flew into Seattle on Christmas and it was snowing. Now again, I’m from California so I’ve only seen snow maybe once in my life. Right when we landed I could see the snow-covered trees, the icy streets – and the cold temps, oh was it cold. Now I know it was like negative 100 in the Midwest recently, but my California blood isn’t used to this.
So of course for these freezing days, I am all about putting together a comforting soup. Before I learned how to really put together soup it was intimidating, but once I got the hang of it I’m all about it. Most of the time I’m down for a good bowl of chicken noodle, but recently I wanted to switch it up
Paleo Creamy Cauliflower Gnocchi Soup
Let’s be honest, Trader Joe’s cauliflower gnocchi is so hot right now. Ever since that came out, it’s been flying off the shelves like a popular toy at Christmas. If you are lucky enough to come across a bag, grab 10. There are so many different ways to enjoy, one of which is in a soup. Small disclaimer – I’ve never actually tried the Olive Garden version. I have seen it in real life though, like Bigfoot.
To get the soup creamy without the dairy, I use arrowroot powder mixed with coconut cream. You can buy a can of coconut cream at the store, or you can place a can of full fat coconut milk in the refrigerator overnight and the cream will rise to the top. Coconut cream is a bit thicker than just coconut milk, so it helps with that thicker consistency. Arrowroot powder and tapioca starch are great paleo-friendly thickener alternatives.
I would serve this soup immediately, but it should be good in the refrigerator overnight for the next day. If you are a soup lover like I am, you can check out some of my other favorite soup recipes like my creamy kale soup, lemon kale soup, crockpot beef stew , and paleo ramen.
- 1 cup chopped celery, onion and carrots
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 package Trader Joe's cauliflower gnocchi
- 1 tsp Paleo Powder AIP Seasoning
- 1 bag Bonafide Provisions chicken bone broth
- 1 can coconut cream
- 1 tbsp. Bob's Red Mill arrowroot powder
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup pre-cooked chicken
- 1 handful spinach
- Start out by browning the gnocchi in a small saucepan with olive oil. Heat on all sides until lightly brown. Set aside.
- Place a large saucepan on the stove on medium heat.
- Sauté the carrots, onions and celery with the olive oil until lightly browned.
- Add in the bone broth and reduce heat to low.
- In a separate saucepan, add in the coconut cream on low heat. In a small bowl combine the water and arrowroot powder and whisk together. Add the arrowroot mixture with the coconut cream and whisk until thick. You may need to add more arrowroot powder to reach desired consistency.
- Once the coconut cream mixture is ready, combine with the bone broth and veggies in the larger saucepan.
- Add in the chicken, gnocchi and spinach, and continue cooking until the soup comes to a boil.
- Serve immediately.