These simple paleo donuts are a surefire hit for the entire family, and are also gluten-free, paleo-friendly and come together using minimal ingredients.
Growing up, donuts were like a food group to me. I’ll always remember my parents dropping down to the donut store on the corner to pick up a dozen donuts to feed my brother, sister and I. My favorites were the rainbow sprinkles and maple bars, sometimes eating both.
Looking fondly on that time, I also see how one could easily crave sugar living off of donuts and orange juice as a steady diet. As I got older I frequented the local donut shop more and more.
I don’t know how I was able to function with all of that sugar first thing in the morning.
As my tastes have changed, so are the ways I approach some of my comfort food favorites.
Donuts are no exception.
These paleo donuts feature minimal ingredients and take only 20 minutes in the oven. I used almond flour as the main flour, but also included coconut for more dense donuts. My favorite coconut flour to bake with is Bob’s Red Mill.
I also used coconut sugar to sweeten, but you can use your favorite sweetener. Coconut sugar is made from the sap of the coconut palm and is almost comparable to brown sugar. You can substitute it in any recipe 1 to 1.
- For the donuts:
- 1 cup almond flour
- 2 tbsp. coconut flour
- 3/4 cup coconut sugar
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 tbsp. vanilla extract
- 3 tbsp. milk
- 1/4 cup coconut oil melted and cooled
- For the glaze:
- 1 container Simple Mills Vanilla frosting
- 1 tsp milk
- 1 tsp coconut oil
- Pre heat the oven to 350.
- In a small bowl, combine the dry ingredients (almond flour, coconut flour, coconut sugar, baking powder, cinnamon and sea salt) and combine well.
- In a separate bowl, melt the coconut oil and let cool. Add in the eggs, vanilla and milk and whisk.
- Slowly add in the dry ingredients to the wet mixture and whisk until combined.
- Spray a donut pan with avocado oil, and fill up the molds 2/3 with the mixture.
- Place in the oven for 20 - 25 minutes or until a toothpick can be removed cleanly.
- Let cool before frosting.
- Combine all of the ingredients in a sauce pan on low heat and mix until combined. Place the donuts in the saucepan top down to frost. Top with favorite toppings.