This paleo lemon kale soup is the perfect cold weather combo! It features gut-healthy bone broth, and lemon to help ward off all the winter bugs – all while featuring plenty of spices and veggies for the ideal bowl of soup.
I can’t say that soup has ever been a big deal for me. Growing up it was obviously my go-to when I was sick (anyone remember those little stars?). Soup to me was always an afterthought, after the grilled cheese sandwich of course.
As I’ve gotten older and my taste buds have changed (and I’m also attempting to prioritize gut health), soups are beginning to become more of a staple around my house. And while they may not be as simple as grabbing a can of Campbell’s out of the cupboard and heating it up, this lemon kale soup is pretty close to it. It also works too because you can store it in the fridge for a few days and reheat as needed.
Paleo Lemon Kale Soup
This paleo lemon kale soup was born out of a desire for something a little bit different from the traditional chicken noodle variety. While I have nothing against good old chicken noodle, I’m a big kid now. I need veggies, I need vitamins, I need to be in bed by 9pm (adulting is fun).
When I made this soup originally, I used Trader Joe’s Stuffing Starter Veggie Mix, because it was the most convenient thing ever. I will make sure to include the individual herbs in the recipe, but it also gives you the option to add or subtract to your individual tastes. Trader Joe’s also has a veggie soup starter mix year round that includes chopped carrots, celery and onions, so if you aren’t much into chopping veggies this may be the way to go.
- 1/4 cup diced carrots
- 1/4 cup diced celery
- 1/4 cup diced onions
- 1 tsp minced garlic (optional)
- 3 tsp parsley
- 1/2 tsp rosemary
- 1 1/2 tsp thyme
- 2 sage leaves
- 1 tbsp. avocado oil
- 1 package Bonafide Provisions Chicken Bone Broth
- 1 lb cooked pasture raised chicken breast
- 1 cup Trader Joe's Frozen Cauliflower Rice
- 1 handful kale
- 1 lemon
- salt and pepper to taste
- Start out by heating a large pot over the stove on medium heat.
- Add in the carrots, onion, celery, seasonings and avocado oil (and garlic if using). Sauté the vegetables until they are a light golden brown.
- Add in the bone broth, cauliflower rice and chicken, and continue heating until the soup comes to a boil.
- Once boiling, reduce the soup to a simmer and add in the kale. Continue stirring for 5 minutes.
- Let set for 5 minutes. Before serving, add in 1/2 of the freshly squeezed lemon.