These paleo pumpkin protein balls are the perfect fall treat that’s also gluten-free, grain-free, does not require any baking and serves as a protein-rich mid-day snack or a healthy treat!
I figured it was about time for me to accept that fall is here. Whether I like it or not, it’s getting darker sooner, the leaves are starting to fall, and I’ve seen a freakishly large amount of birds hightailing it to Cancun. Smart birds.
The one thing I do enjoy about this time of year (besides the cooler temps) is the spices it brings. I’m talking pumpkin all the things. While I don’t enjoy a pumpkin spice latte since I don’t drink coffee, what I do enjoy is all of the pumpkin fall desserts. What it can also bring? Falling off the healthy eating wagon REAL quick. First comes all the Halloween candy, then don’t even get me started on Thanksgiving and all those Christmas cookies.
Paleo Pumpkin Protein Balls
These paleo pumpkin protein balls are full of everything you want out of a fall-inspired, pumpkin everything recipe. I use coconut flour and almond meal from Trader Joe’s as the base, and Primal Palate’s Pumpkin Spice because not only are they my favorite spices to use, they are also paleo-friendly with no hidden nonsense. You can stock up on their spices on Amazon or on Thrive Market (which I love btw).
I also use an organic pumpkin puree with just pumpkin as the ingredient. There are a lot of different varieties I’ve seen out there with added sugar. If you are trying to keep it low on the sugar side, it’s best to avoid those. The magical sweetener I use for these little gems? Wildflower honey from Primal Pastures. Not only is honey anti-microbial (great for all the sickness fall brings), but it’s also a natural source of sugar. The protein also helps to balance out the impact on blood sugar.
Feel free to use your favorite protein for this recipe. I used Vital Protein collagen peptides, which is also great for skin and hair (and gut health). To make these vegan, you can include your favorite plant-based protein.
- 1 cup Bob's Red Mill Coconut Flour
- 1 1/2 cup Trader Joe's Almond Meal
- 1 scoop Vital Proteins Collagen Peptides
- 1 tsp Primal Palate Pumpkin Spice
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/4 cup Primal Pastures Wildflower honey
- 1/2 cup organic pumpkin puree
- 1/2 cup favorite chocolate chips
- Mix together the almond flour, coconut flour and protein powder.
- Add in the remaining dry ingredients. then add in the honey and pumpkin puree last. Mix in the chocolate chips last.
- Grab about a tablespoon size of mix, and using your hands, roll into a ball.
- Pop the balls in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- Serve immediately, or keep in the fridge for a few days on a plate.