These Paleo Salmon Patties are the perfect gluten free, paleo-friendly meal to bring along for a work lunch that doesn’t require a microwave!
The Dreaded Microwave
I absolutely can not and will not use a microwave at work ever again.
Why you ask? Well, not withstanding the fact that I’m just not big on putting food in microwaves covered in spaghetti sauce, have you smelled some of the stuff that gets microwaved at the workplace? and I am fortunate enough to have on right next to my desk. There’s days I honestly question if they microwaved roadkill.
So when I started commuting for work, I had to find paleo-friendly meals that I could not only easily prep for the week, but also did not require a microwave.
All About the Salmon
Enter my favorite fish – salmon. Not only is salmon full of all the good stuff ( omega 3, protein, B vitamins, etc) but it’s great warm and cold. What I also love about salmon is that for the most part it is on the lower end when it comes to mercury levels. High mercury levels are notorious for wreaking havoc especially when it comes to hormonal issues.
I enjoy eating leftover salmon on top of salad for lunches, but I was in need of something new. I’ve given the fish patties thing a try many times, but they always end up falling apart. That’s when I added in my favorite carb.
Paleo Sweet Potato Salmon Patties
These Paleo Sweet Potato Salmon Patties are a combination of my two loves, all rolled into a delicious, easy-to-make patty. The sweet potato makes a great addition to the patties not only because sweet potatoes are running through my veins, but they also pack a good amount of fiber and other beneficial nutrients to keep you out of the snack jar come 3pm.
I also discovered that cooking these Paleo Sweet Potato Salmon Patties in the oven before frying helps them stick better.
These Paleo Sweet Potato Salmon Patties are easy to prep, and last the week in the fridge.
- 1 large sweet potato
- 1 can Wild Planet Wild Pink Salmon
- 1/2 cup green onions
- 2 pasture raised eggs
- 1/2 cup blanched almond flour
- 1 tbsp. Primal Palate Seafood Seasoning
- 1 tsp pink sea salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp paprika (if tolerated)
- Begin by pre-heating the oven to 425.
- Wash the sweet potato, and wrap in wet paper towels. Place in the microwave for 6 to 7 minutes.
- Once the sweet potato is done and cooled slightly, lightly remove the skin and place the sweet potato in a large mixing bowl. Using a large spoon or whisk, mash all of the sweet potato together until it is well blended.
- Add in the additional ingredients, adding the eggs last.
- Line a cooking pan with parchment paper, and using your hands, form individual salmon patties. Place the patties on the parchment paper, and place in the oven for 25 minutes.
- Once the patties are done, warm up a skillet on the stovetop and spray with olive oil or avocado oil spray. Place the patties in the skillet and cook on each side only for a few minutes. This helps to give them a little extra crisp.